Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Early Music Education = Better Language Skills

This year at Metcalf, we have increased music education programming for students in our younger grades.  I have been assisting Ms. Mattoon (our outstanding general education Pre-Kindergarten teacher here at Metcalf) with weekly music classes in our Pre-Kindergarten classrooms.  We are using John Feierabend's music and movement curriculum, First Steps in Music for Preschool and Beyond in our classes.  Metcalf was honored to host a conference with Dr. Feierabend in September where many professionals (both from Metcalf and other schools/organizations) were able to learn from the author and practice his techniques.

I am no stranger to music education and firmly believe in the value of music education for all children. I actually began my undergraduate work as a Music Education major before switching to Communication Sciences and Disorders and graduated with a Minor in Music.  In the evenings, I am currently teaching a few private piano students (and have done so since high school).  During my work as an Early Intervention therapist, I often incorporate music and movement into my speech, language and listening therapy sessions.  Formal research aside, I have anecdotally seen that music education helps increase children's attention, problem solving skills, social language skills, and language skills/concept knowledge.  Plus...music is just good, plain FUN!  Music enjoyment, skill and knowledge are gifts that serve individuals from infancy through adulthood.

Today I read an article posted on Facebook by the Auditory Verbal Center of Wheaton:  Theory: Music Underlies Language Acquisition.  There is a lot of research out there that supports the value of music in brain development...and this is just one short illustration of that.

So today...give it a try!  Sing, dance and be joyful with your children and students!

No comments:

Post a Comment